Easy Tomato Soup
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 14 ounce can whole plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Black pepper
- Sugar (optional)
- In a food processor, pulse the onion, bell pepper and garlic just until finely chopped (you'll need the food processor again later). In a large, heavy pot over medium-low heat, melt the butter in the oil. Add the chopped onion mixture and the salt. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree the can of tomatoes, with their juice, in the food processor (you'll use the food processor once more). Add the tomato paste to the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the pureed tomatoes and a quart of water. Bring the soup to a simmer; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is completely tender, about 25 minutes. Puree the soup in the food processor until completely smooth.
- Season to taste with vinegar, pepper, salt and sugar if desired. Serve hot, with cheese triangles if desired.